If You Think Facebook is Just for Sharing Pictures of Your Vacation, Think Again!
Yes, your personal Facebook Home Page is filled with trivia from your friends, and that’s kind of fun. Yes, you use Twitter to send out witty tweets about your experiences. But, hopefully, as a business owner or marketing professional, you have embraced social media as the useful marketing tool that it is. If you haven’t, the first thought that comes to mind is “why?” Here’s the truth. If you aren’t using social media, you are missing out on opportunities to increase sales, to improve customer relationships, and to increase awareness of your company. Do you still need convincing? If so, here are seven reasons that your business simply must begin using social media.
- If your business doesn’t have a Facebook page, you are missing out on opportunities to form connections with customers. Your competitors are using their Facebook pages to communicate with people and to share content. Each like or share that a business receives for a Facebook post has the potential to reach thousands of customers. Face book posts spread like a spider web, and you need to start new webs and grow them every day.
- Marketing on social media is at best free, and worst extraordinarily inexpensive. As a business owner, it costs you nothing to send out a tweet touting a new product line or to publish a post on Facebook offering a discount in exchange for liking your page. If you would like to publish content that is more sophisticated, you may have production costs, but your publishing spending will still be zero.
- You cannot successfully mount a content marketing campaign without using social media. You can produce informative blogs, compelling videos, interesting newsletters, and articles that your customers want to read, but if you don’t have a place to share that content, nobody is going to see it. It is not enough to simply put that content on your website and hope that somebody clicks their way into it.
- The larger your social media presence, the more ‘searchable’ your company will be. Your activity on social media, along with the number of your social media accounts has a big impact on where your company shows up when it is entered into a search engine. Of course, it isn’t enough to simply create accounts, you must keep your Facebook, WordPress, and other social media accounts active by continually posting new content.
- When you interact with your customers on social media, they begin to relate to you on a more personal level. With social media, you are no longer a faceless company. Instead, you are a helpful and responsive entity with good information to share and suggestions to make – you become an authority and a caring individual.
- Your website will thank you. If you are like many business owners or marketing professionals, you need customers to visit your website. After all, that’s where they place orders isn’t it? Remember that when you post content on social media, you have the opportunity to link back to your company web page. More traffic means more opportunity to convert visitors into customers.
- Social media gives you the opportunity to create or advance your brand. Do you have a vision in mind of what you want your customers to think or feel when they see your company logo, or see the name of your company? If you do, that is your company’s brand. The point of social media is building relationships and communicating with others. There is no better way to build a brand than through communications. When someone wants or needs what you are selling, yours will be the “brand” they choose.